Thursday, April 7, 2016

Traveling Soldier




If this is your first time reading this blog, stop. Read the previous posts written by Brian Hale (@MrBHale) and Briana Kelley (@MrsBKelley1).


Welcome back. As a first time educational blogger, my introductions are admittedly a little weak, but like James Harden’s defense, I need time to develop. Okay, horrible analogy. You’re either thinking “Who the hell is James Harden?” or “James Harden’s defense will never develop. He’s a dominant attacking force in the NBA who would help his team more by cooking up one of his signature dishes than playing his version of defense.”


I digress.


Our district has adopted a mindshift to a collaborative, blended learning environment. This mindshift is forcing our staff to rethink how we educate our students. For the next few years, we have a little taste of both styles of education at our school. These styles are separated by two campuses - North and South. This school year I am assigned a “traveling schedule”, meaning I spend my morning at North campus and afternoon at South campus. I’d like to briefly outline my unique school day. I hope you find it as interesting as it plays out every day.


NOTE: This is not a persuasion post. I’ve designed this post to give you a taste of my day (beware -- future posts may involve heavy persuasion).


North Campus

This campus is structured as a traditional high school - 40 minute class periods, 9 periods in a day, etc. Here I teach Algebra 2 and Precalculus to juniors and seniors.


Here is a peak into my classroom:




South campus:


This campus is designed for a cohort learning environment with a blended, online learning approach. No bells. No class periods. Just time and ample space. The academic team has one general academic area with two smaller classrooms available to pull groups of students out for smaller instructional opportunities.


Here is a look at the academic area:




Three biggest differences from traveling between these two learning environments:

  1. One-on-one availability-
The traditional 40 minute class periods at North campus lends itself to more direct instruction. The cohort learning environment at South campus allows for much more one-on-one time. About 95% of my time at South is available for one-on-one time with students.


  1. Student pacing -
My class North campus is set up for one lesson per day. Students are all working on the same assignments at the same time, taking quizzes/tests on the same day, etc. South campus students are working at their own pace through the curriculum. There are minimum due dates, but students are allowed to pace themselves through the lessons and assignments as they see fit for their schedule.


  1. Flexible grouping sessions -
The North campus traditional schedule has assigned students in each classroom. From there I am able to group these students as I please. The South campus environment allows me to group students however I need.



As you can see, the uniqueness of my schedule allows me to experience two completely different styles of education in the same day. In two years, our district is combining into one campus and adopting the cohort, blended learning approach. Though I’ve tried to remain impartial during this post, I will say that I’m very excited and look forward to this consolidation.


@MathMitchellR - Mathematics Instructor

No comments:

Post a Comment